CHEYENNE, WYO – Blue Cross Blue Shield of Wyoming, the state’s leading health insurer, has announced immediate coverage updates in an effort to help prevent the spread and impact of COVID-19 (also referred to as the coronavirus disease).
BCBSWY will do the following:
- Cover the cost of diagnostic tests for COVID-19 for all members who meet CDC guidelines for testing. Member cost share for the COVID-19 test will be waived.
- Cover medically necessary services and treatment for those diagnosed with COVID-19 based on the individual’s benefits.
- Remove the administrative requirements for prior authorizations for medically appropriate testing and care for COVID-19.
- Increase access to prescription medications by waiving early refill limits on 30-day maintenance prescriptions. Members are reminded that 90-day prescriptions through mail delivery will continue to be available.
- Coordinate with its pharmacy benefit management company, Prime Therapeutics, to help resolve any potential prescription bottlenecks that could occur during a major outbreak of the disease.
Diane Gore, the president and CEO of BCBSWY, says preparation is key to helping Wyoming residents in the event of any potential epidemic.
“Blue Cross Blue Shield of Wyoming has had a pandemic plan in place for years,” Gore said. “Although we are still assessing the impact of COVID-19 in Wyoming, we believe it is important to be proactive and prepared. We want to make sure our members know they can rely on us for help with their health care needs related to the virus.”
The plan’s Chief Medical Officer, Joseph Horam, M.D., urged common sense to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. “Everyone needs to exercise good health habits: wash your hands often, cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze, stay home if you feel ill, and contact your health care provider if you think you’re ill. Avoid the emergency room if possible and get advice about testing from your doctor.”
About Blue Cross Blue Shield of Wyoming
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Wyoming (BCBSWY), a not-for-profit health insurer and an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, provides access to high-quality healthcare coverage, services and programs to help our members make the best healthcare decisions and get the best care. BCBSWY is currently the only company in Wyoming offering insurance through the federal Health Insurance Exchange. Learn more about us at BCBSWY.com.