In 1945, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Wyoming (BCBSWY) opened its doors as a not-for-profit insurance company. Today we serve more than 100,000 members from our corporate headquarters in Cheyenne and offices throughout the state. More than 200 employees operate the company under the direction of the BCBSWY Board of Directors which governs the business.
Members and claims
- More than 100,000 members are covered by BCBSWY.
- Claims paid totaled $448 million in 2012.
Awards and recognition
- BCBSWY makes our customer the number one priority and continues to rank among the top Blue Cross Blue Shield Plans for claims processing and customer service performance by the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association.
- BCBSWY maintains very high standards and a ranking among the top Blue Cross Blue Shield Plans for provider data quality.
- BCBSWY is recognized by the Federal Employee Program as a low cost /high performance Plan with excellent service.
BCBSWY employs more than 200 people, the majority of them at the corporate home at 4000 House Avenue in Cheyenne. Additionally, BCBSWY maintains 9 sales and service offices throughout the state.
As a caring community, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Wyoming has been involved in promoting the good health and wellbeing of Wyoming residents by participating in and contributing to many health related charities and causes. In 1990, the Caring Foundation of Wyoming was established to help sustain this mission. The programs funded by the Caring Foundation have included the Caring Program for Children, The Caring for Families Program and the Caring for Women Program.
Over time and in response to the changing healthcare needs of Wyoming, in 2007 the Caring Foundation shifted its focus to support the following ongoing programs through the Foundation’s charitable giving:
- The Caring for Women Program
- The Health Professionals Scholarship Fund
- Wyoming Relay for Life Corporate Sponsorship
- Wyoming Race for the Cure
- BCBSWY is the carrier for the state Kid Care CHIP insurance program.
- BCBSWY is the administrator for the Wyoming Health Insurance Pool.